Friday 20 May 2016

My life as a military wife.........................

I get asked almost on a daily basis, what it is really like to be married to someone who is in the military. I also get a lot of comments saying that they could never be married to someone in the military or cope with their partner being away from home.

Well, being married to someone in the military means there are three people in our marriage, my husband, me and the military and sometimes the military does get in the way. I am grateful on one hand for the military as it has allowed me to be a stay at home mother, but it can be an incredibly lonely existence. Not all military wives are nice and friendly and it can be very difficult to make new friends when you move camps, although people say they are friendly and warm - in practical terms this is not my experience. I have gone to mum and baby groups and have been completely ignored including people turning their backs on me and being very rude.

I also find it really difficult living on camp, I have lived out in civilian world for most of my marriage and when you move onto camp, everyone is around the same age, everyone has children it is nothing like the real world - I miss seeing older people and people that have nothing to do with the military world.

I do live in fear of my husband being sent away, its not that I fear something would happen to him, as lets face it civilians are now at significant risk of terrorist attacks, it is more the crippling loneliness that I find the most stressful.

Being married to the military is not so bad, the worst thing is living on camp and not really dealing with the "outside world". xx


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Templates from pipdig